Monday, May 22, 2006

Biblical Studies and the Church

I remember one time having a converstation with an older minister after my first year serving as a pastor. After hearing about my previous degree in Biblical studies, he said in a very mocking tone, "So, do you do a lot of exegesis out in that church in the country where you're at?" (with a sneer). I kind of let the comment go. But the answer is, yes, as a matter of fact I do. Why else do seminaries require exegesis classes? The interpretation and proclamation of scripture is important. If we go back through the history of the church, we can see that some of the greatest theologians and scholars were in the service of the church while they were writing. This can be seen from Augustine to Barth to Wright. I would like to see the day that biblical scholarship comes from and in the context of the local church. Just something to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home