Monday, May 22, 2006

Rhetorical Criticism

Dr. Michael Bird , who always has interesting posts, discussed Paul and rhetorical criticism today. He makes a good argument in favor of a rhetorical methodology and its benefits. I needed no convincing; I had the chance to study socio-rhetorical interpretation with one of the top scholars in that field in my previous studies. Rhetoric is a great avenue to investigate, particularly in biblical studies. But not just for interpretating scripture. Whe I first began studying Rhetorical criticism several years ago, it also helped me look at my own preaching style and really helped me develop a methodology for sermon preperation. If the Paul and the writers of the Gospels used rhetorical devices as a means of persuasion, why shouldn't we also? After all, sermons are persuasive in nature; we are trying to persuade the listeners toward deeper levels of discipleship. Not to mention it also causes to really think about sermon form and flow. Hooray for rhetoric!

1 Comments:

Blogger revabi said...

good point. I know the commentaries often make reference to the rhetorical style of Paul.
Maybe I need to go back and look at it.

12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home