Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Preaching the Academy

One of the interesting and challenging aspects of being both a seminary student and a pastor is the way in which I live in two different worlds at the same time. One the one hand, I am in the parish, with people who are liviing lives of turmoil and joy. On the other hand, I live within the academy. I should say that i believe that the two worlds should most definately intersect, but sometimes that theory is hard to do in practical reality. In the academy, we learn a lot about looking critical theory, especially in view of history. While I enjoy that immensely, I sometimes struggle with that in preaching. I feear that some of my sermons seem like historical lectures. But I believe that is important, especially when looking at Jesus. But that move from history to how that history applies to us today is challenging. But should it be? Should there not also be sermons that inform and educate us, not necessarily with an explicite application? A sermon that makes us think?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home