Sunday, August 13, 2006

Really Looking for the Historical Jesus



I spent some time this weekend going through Crossan's book on the historical Jesus. I've been to do this for a while, but other things (and more enticing hiistorical Jesus books) prevailed. I have to say that I was not that impressed. Most HJ studies reference this book (usually to point out disagreements), so I thought I should get into it. I already knew Crossan's views, but wanted to examine them for myself. He spent a lot of time on background material, cultural studies, and so on. What was amazing to me was that it took quite a while for him to actually get to Jesus in any substantial way. While that is true in most studies, Crossan didn't really do much with Jesus through the rest of the book. So, on to other sources. But at least I read it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home